Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Maybe we'll take a break from buying breakfast corny dogs for a while.

My kids like the sausage biscuit sandwiches that you buy in the freezer section.  However, here they come in giant boxes in packs of only four!  We have one tiny freezer for the time being, and to be sure I will not buy a pack of four of anything anyway.  This is what led me to buy the pancake and sausage on a stick.  I can get twenty of those in one box.  They are basically breakfast corny dogs, so that is what we call them.

(There is a whole ongoing debate between myself and my husband about "corn dog" verses "corny dog" because you know we have problems agreeing on what to call things or even tiny people we co-create.  I don't know what side you are on, but here, I'm calling them corny dogs.)

In the past two weeks, we've had two close calls with these dumb corny dogs, so I am taking it as a sign from God that I need to stop buying them for a while.  Maybe we'll make and freeze a bunch of homemade sausage sandwiches instead.

The last and not quite as scary thing that happened was that it nearly caught the microwave on fire when Drew, who has been making his own for a while in the microwave, accidentally slipped an extra zero on the end of the '1:00' he was supposed put on there.  It's a dial that you turn up to the time you want.  Normally that makes it hard to put an extra zero on the end because you'd have to keep turning that dial past a lot of numbers.  Drew managed to do it though.  Thankfully, Brian caught it three minutes in and that was enough to really burn the thing and smoke up the microwave pretty good.  I am still trying to get the smell out.  Vinegar, baking soda, and now lemon later we are finally on the fainter side of it until you turn it on.

The super scary thing that happened a couple of weeks ago was that Judah choked on the pancake part of it.  (I know everyone thinks the sausage is the dangerous part, right?)  I mean it was real, turn-your-face-colors, can't talk, choking.  Thanks be to God that I was sitting right there and saw him!  I am rarely sitting with him when he is eating breakfast.  Bobby, Drew, and him were the only ones up on that Saturday morning, and I was feeding Bobby his babyfood.  His face was so scared.  I picked him up and started to turn him upside down to do the baby version of the Heimlich maneuver.  He started fighting me and grabbing on to the bench.  I moved away from the furniture and turned him over n my knee.  I hit his back repeatedly and then checked him.  He still couldn't talk or breathe, so I did it some more and was just about to send Drew up to get Hannah to call the emergency number when he said, "Mommy, I  threw it up."  Sure enough, there it was on the floor, a about 2.5 inches long and about the diameter of a dime.  I just sat down on the floor and hugged my baby boy telling him and God how happy I was that he threw it up.  He told me he didn't want to eat that corny dog anymore.  Can't blame him!  I am just so thankful that I was able to get it out and that I was there.  Thank you, God and all our guardian angels!

1 comment:

Becca said...

Thank God!!! So scary.