Saturday, November 15, 2008

Apparently TP tastes good!

At least that's what Genna said when I asked her if the toilet paper she just fessed up to eating tasted good.

I am sure every parent remembers times when you had to hide giggles when you were supposed to be disciplining your children. This was one of those times for both Brian and I. And I have to admit, Genevieve is the one in our family that causes these situations the most frequently. She has such an innocent nonchalant attitude about things and she also does the weirdest stuff that gets her in trouble, like eating toilet paper, for example. So here's how it all went down...

Hannah and Genna had been in the bathroom together for a long time. (This should have been my first clue that something was up, but I was on the phone at the time. Daddy was in charge, need I say more?) After I got off the phone, I went in there to check on them. Hannah proclaims immediately (as if guilty of something herself), "Genna ate toilet paper!" Genna nods her head, points to her tummy, and admits with a huge grin, "It's in my tummy now!" Daddy has joined us by this time, and I said in my most serious voice, "Genna, did you really eat toilet paper?" She looks at us with those huge eyes, her bottom lip sticking out just a bit and shrugs her shoulders three times in quick succession. Not an I don't know shrug, but more of an I'm guilty but don't want to admit it out loud shrug. This is the point when both Brian and I turn around and hold in our giggles and try to compose ourselves so we can tell her that we don't do that with a serious demeanor. The girls both just stand there and wait, seemingly unaware of our laughter. Maybe you had to see it or at least have to have seen Genna's trademark shrug before to understand how hilarious this was to us.

When I composed myself, I asked her why she did this. She then confesses Hannah put it in her mouth and then she simply chewed and swallowed it. Hannah is denying this. Then I turn to Hannah and remind her how important telling the truth is. I ask again, and she replies with uncertainty all over her face, "I don't know if I did it or not, Mom." So I explain again about truth and how very important it is that we always tell the truth. Finally, the truth makes it out. I told Hannah I was very proud of her telling me the truth even though she didn't want to. I explain how we don't eat anything that is not food and I explain Hannah's responsibility as an older sister to always protect and take care of her younger sister and brother too. This is when Genna interjects, "Yeah, Hannah, because I might die...like Jesus...on the cross!" Death by ingestion of toilet paper?
Here's that crazy girl tap dancing in her diaper!

2 comments:

Becca said...

Wow, she's on a roll! Locking doors, eating TP, what's next Genna!

Kristen said...

Wow...Genna and Mariana have a LOT in common!!! ;-)