Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Paris, France

We just got back from Paris on Wednesday. Actually, it was just Brian, Isaac, and me. We left the girls with some friends of ours. They have four kids and so they had a houseful with the girls added in the mix. How sweet of them to do that for us! It was such a blessing to have some quiet time with Brian before his long trip (that is coming up way too fast!) It was hard to leave them, but it helped that the girls were fine with it. They had a great time!

Brian and I hit up the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre and the Rodin Museum. We are exhausted though because of all the walking! Isaac lived in the Snugli front pack since we didn't bring the stroller. We wanted to travel as light as possible. Brian wore him the whole time except when I had to nurse or when we were at restaurants. Bless his heart! It isn't easy to carry a baby weighing in at almost 19lbs all day long.


Isaac got a lot of attention from the French ladies in the Snugli! Hard to believe with those cheeks, huh?


The Rodin Museum or Musee Rodin was my favorite. I have always wanted to go there! Auguste Rodin is my favorite sculptor. His best known works are The Thinker, The Kiss, and The Gates of Hell. We spent the better part of a whole day in this relatively small museum.

The Musee du Louvre was great too. We saw the Mona Lisa and the Vesus de Milo as well as many other lesser known Greek statues. Plus, they had a small Picasso exhibit there as well. Here's a picture of me outside the Louvre.

The food was better than I thought outside of the restaurants. By this I mean, in the restaurants, I had trouble finding anything I liked because I am rather picky when it comes to meat. I'll eat anything else, but meat needs to be cooked a certain way and not be from strange parts of the body. I saw way too many feet, tongues, and other weird pieces of meat, not to mention the rare kinds of animals that they eat, like duck, goose, snails, and horse. So, I didn't eat much at the reataurants besides Fondue and French Onion Soup. The Creperies and Backeries though, I loved. The bagettes were so soft and warm. The croisants were excellent, as were the quiches. The Creperie down the street from the Musee Rodin was the best! There wer over 20 different kinds of sweet and salty crepes combos to choose from. My meal crepe had lettuce, black olives, and goat cheese in it. Brian's had sausage, mustard, swiss cheese, and potatoes. We split ours so we could try two, and they were both excellent! The dessert crepes were wonderful with Nutella, pears, ice cream and whipped cream on them. I wish I could have tried many more of them.


We did not go up the Eiffel Tower for several reasons. One, we were exhausted (it was a long long walk from everything else.) Two, we were starving! Three, I am a chicken. My two least favorite things are heights and elevators, so the combination did not leave me dying to go up there. However, if I ever go back, I think I will try it...maybe. Of course, I say this as I sit here safely at my computer, not looking up at the huge tower.

Notre Dame was impressive as well! We were so lucky because we arrived just in time for daily Mass on the last day and had plenty of time before our train left to attend. So, I've now attended Mass in Belgium, Germany, Austria, the Czech Republic, Italy, and France too. (We were in Switzerland and England in the middle of the week with no oppurtunity to go to Mass.)

I am having trouble getting the rest of the pictures loaded on the computer, but I will post some more when I figure out the problem!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Cool trip...cute baby...and Amen to the meat thing. I am the same way!

Traca said...

I love reading about your adventures! You guys are so blessed to get to see so much of the world with your young family! What an opportunity!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi- I work for HomeAway and wanted to say thanks for posting VRBO.com, one of the HomeAway, Inc. sites, under your list of websites that you find useful. Also, since you and your growing family seem to do your fair share of traveling, I wanted to let you know about our "Why I Deserve a Getaway from HomeAway" blogger contest. The winner will win a $5,000 vacation to the HomeAway property of their choice. Please check out blog.homeaway.com for more info!

Happy New Year!