Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Doctor Lab Coat

Brian has a whole box of lab coats that he doesn't need, so I am taking three of them and turning them into play lab coats for the kids. I made Hannah's first, and it took less than an hour to make it so Isaac and Genna should have one soon too.


There's Isaac and our friend's cat inserting themselves into the picture. :)

I doubt most of you would have any need for a tutorial on how to do this, but just in case I will give you the basics. I first ripped out the pocket with a seam ripper. I set it aside for embroidering the name. I put it on her and eyeballed it to cut the length of the coat (in hindsight, I should have made the coat longer). Even though I eyeballed this part too, a better way is to lay a shirt that fits your child on top (add an inch for the seam allowance) to cut the sleeve and the sides like this...

Isaac's coat in process

Then I just fold it over and cut the other side to match.


I hemmed the sleeves and then turned it inside out. Sewed along the sleeves and down the sides. Hemmed the bottom, and I was ready for the pocket.

After embroidering the pocket, I sewed it back on in a better place for the new smaller coat.



2 comments:

Emily said...

So did you take in the sides at all? Great idea, Kelle!

Kelle said...

Thanks, Emily! Yes, I did trim the sides down a lot. In the first picture of my "how to" Isaac's shirt is in the middle of the coat and one side is already trimmed. I am hoping to use Brian's old uniforms to make Isaac some more dress up clothes for when he is a little bit older and able to dress himself. Dress up is a big thing in our house and I don't want him to be stuck in tutus and princess crowns. :)