Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Isaac's Well Baby Appoinment

Yesterday Isaac finally was well enough to have his 18 month well baby check up and get his shots even though he is almost 20 months now. His ears were clear for the first time in a long time without being on antibiotics. Praise God! Isaac has been to the doctor so much lately (about once a week since the beginning of the year) and has become a pro at it. He is brave and usually shocks the doctors with how easily he allows his ears to be checked. A week ago he had to have the antibiotic shot and I feared it would ruin it all. But we've been back twice since then and he was fine after he realized we were back to just looking in the ear and not hurting him. I didn't want this to seem like just another visit and turn into a traumatic painful thing. So I decided up front honesty was the best way to handle this. I told him the morning of the appointment that we were going to the doctor and at the end the "shot lady" would have to give him a shot. He immediately was resisting the whole trip. So we got the Elmo book about his check up and took Grover along to help explain what would happen. He did start to cry with the nurse, but by the time the doctor got there he was fine. He was a brave little boy for the shots as well.

It was hard for me to be honest with him about this. My parents did not take the same approach. I can't blame them though, I was afraid of everything, hysterically afraid. I was afraid of the doctor every time though because I never really believed I wasn't getting a shot. I was afraid to go on any ride at Six Flags or Disney World because I was afraid it would go backwards, go too high, or have a big drop (just a few of my fears). I am hoping that by telling my kids exactly what to expect it will help them, at least, to only be afraid when they are truly facing a fear and not every time they face even the possibility of one. I would love to think that just explaining that God protects us would alleviate all my children's fears, but I know from experience that is easier said than done by some. I will tell them that anyway because maybe some of my kids will be like Brian and have more faith than I. And if they turn out to be like me, then the knowledge of that truth will help them overcome their fears eventually.

Isaac was 35 inches and 29 lbs.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Isaac has surpassed Caleb in weight! He's currently 27 lbs 9 oz. I wish Caleb did as well at the doctor. He was improving back when we went more often. I could tell him that he needed to keep still for ear checks, etc. and he would. He didn't LIKE it, but he ok with it.
NOW HE'S AWFUL. Screams the whole time the doctor is checking him. And before the check up actually begins he tells the doctor/nurse to go bye-bye. :) He's very happy to say bye-bye to them in the end of course.

Kelle said...

Isaac does yell "All done!" repeatedly and loudly when the doctor does something he doesn't like. :) This time, when the nurse started to measure his head he said, "No thank you!" :)