Saturday, December 4, 2010

A big art week

K is for Kandinsky. Kandinsky was a painter inspired by music. He painted the music and called his works symphonies. After looking at lots of his work and discussing his inspiration, I asked the girls listen to some classical music and paint the music. Hannah's reaction was, "Can I just paint the picture of the girl that I already had in my head to paint?" She could not grasp the abstractness of it at all. She had made faces at his work. A realist, I guess. Genna's usually my abstract one, so I held out hope for her. Here's what they did...

(Genna's is on the left.)

K is almost for O'Keefe. Georgia O'Keefe was a painter inspired by New Mexico who painted a lot of giant up-close flowers that filled the canvas. The girls were a little more excited about this one, but, in the end, Hannah had trouble with the restrictions of the assignment. I asked them, after going through the same preparatory process as with Kandinsy, to find a photo of a flower in a magazine and paint it to fill the page in watercolor. This time I sat down and painted with them in hopes of directing them a bit and giving an example in progress. Here is our work hung up on the fridge. Isaac didn't want to paint flowers, but monster trucks sounded good to him. He painted the whole time that we did, amazingly enough.

(Top, from left to right: Mine, Isaac's, Genna's
Bottom, from left to right: Genna's, Hannah's)


So what is amazing about this assignment, beside the fact that Hannah's first try (not shown) at following the guidelines was just a huge paper painted nearly solid pink, was that both of Genna's paintings were really good. She typically doesn't surprise me with her art, but I think this may just be her medium. Hannah's picture that is shown was drawn with a pencil first and then painted. Perhaps I should have suggested that for her first attempt of the close-up flower.

K is also for Kennedy. Although, not art related, we also read a book about John F. Kennedy and Hannah's assignment for that was to ask her father and grandmother some questions about him to learn more about him than we already read.

No comments: