Friday, February 11, 2011

February Feasts

There are so many wonderful Saint feast days this month!

St. Blaise on Feb 3rd

At daily Mass, the priest blessed all our throats individually just like you see in the picture except with smaller candles. When it was Isaac's turn, he backed up and said loud enough for all the church to hear, "What are dees dings?" with his eyebrows raised. He got a good chuckle out of Father Carlos and probably many others behind us. I sometimes forget to make sure he is listening when I explain things ahead of time to the girls.

St. Josephine Bakhita on Feb 8th


St. Josephine is an amazing saint, and I LOVE the name! We read about her and colored this picture from Waltzing Matilda. This is Hannah's picture only because Genna's is missing. Surprise, surprise. My absent-minded sweetie. Isaac colored a creation picture this day since it was the old testament reading for Mass. I thought it would keep his attention better, but he still turned it over to draw on the back well before Adam and Eve were colored.

St. Scholastica on Feb 10th


She may be one of my very favorite saints if I had to pick. We have a this book...


It is a great book! She was able to do more because she loved more. That is such a beautiful message. I read the book while they ate their lunch today. Then at rest time the girls colored a picture that I drew from the illustrations in this book. Hope I am not ripping off the wonderful Tomie dePaola by doing this. It is just for the girls. I was hoping to just draw one and make copies, but they were both wanting different pictures of her. I relented and drew two since I enjoy it anyway. Perfectionista Hannah did not like that I wrote the quote, She was able to do more because she loved more on her page so she colored over it with green grass. Stinker! She didn't even want me to put my name on my own drawing. I guess I was defiling her picture.

The other thing I thought was telling about my daughters and their personalities was that Hannah specifically chose the younger, pre-nun Scholastica so that she could color it accurately and not have to just use black. Genevieve chose the nun version of Scholastica and ignored the typical nun habit colors and colored her a rainbow habit because those are her favorite colors...all of them! I love them both so much!


No comments: