Thursday, February 3, 2011

Story time

We took a little trip to Barnes and Noble's for their story time. We rarely can make it due to school taking up so much time, but this week we had the time. (It is the only story time in the area that does not have age limits on the attendees. The library will not allow older siblings to their different story times except on Saturdays, and who wants to go on a Saturday?)

So, back to the original topic. I wish I'd had a camera. Remember the scene from 101 Dalmations where the 14 puppies are all glued to the TV with the remaining ninety-nine kidnapped puppies running around playing? This is what story time looked like, but instead of the TV, my three kids were lined up in front of the story teller while the remaining twenty or more kids ran around and played with the trains. It was kind of funny. You could tell the lady was not used to my kids being there because she asked questions of the group. And with my kids you better be ready for a long story in response. For example, she was reading about Ground Hog Day and asked if anyone else had snow at their house too. Genna, "Oh, yes, we have a lot of snow. We even built a snowman, but now it is melting, and..." That's when the story teller interrupted her to tell her she was going to continue the story and she could talk about it later. At one point, I had to tell Genna and Isaac not to answer anymore questions. Sounds sad, I know, but, truth be told, I have to do the same thing to get through a book at our house sometimes too. Between the three of them, it is like the Spanish Inquisition. It's just funny that they are all like that. Genetic or environmental, I wonder?

After story time when the girls were reading books, Isaac attempted to play with some of the other kids and the trains. Someone rammed their train into his, and he said, "Stoooop!" I told him he needed to say it nicer, like "Please, don't do that." Then the same situation plays out in reverse and the other boy who has been rammed into says, "Stoooop!" Isaac turns to him and says, "You should say, 'Please, don't do that.'" Well, he was listening to me. Kids, you gotta love 'em!

No comments: