Monday, February 14, 2011

LOVE

Happy Valentine's Day!


Hannah and I had a secret meeting last Friday to brainstorm and figure out something she could sacrifice for her sister to show her how much she loves her. Selfless sacrifice is something that she struggles with. We decided that she should do the hardest thing we could think of since that would be the biggest act of love. We have a rule that we share all toys except for a few select things that have been set aside as too valuable or breakable for the gen pop. Genevieve doesn't exercise her right to not share a particular toy almost ever. Hannah, however, does. There is a Barbie doll that she got for her birthday in November that is very fancy and she has kept it up in her closet since November. Genevieve has never touched it, and just wonders aloud in a wistful voice every now and then, "When will I ever get to play with that doll?" So that was the sacrifice I suggested, to share that doll for one hour on Valentine's Day, and turned out to be the hardest one for her to agree to. I told her it was her decision, but that she really needed to think about it because it would make Genna so happy that her head would pop off. (That's Genna's thing right now. Everything makes her head pop off. Perhaps this was due to the Mary Queen of Scots book. Oops, again.) Friday night on the way home from basketball, she told me that she would do it and that we would keep it a surprise.

We also agreed that I would make a love sacrifice as well and give up the hardest thing for me to give up, which at this current time in my life is my afternoon nap. So I gave up my nap today to spend one-on-one time for an hour with each daughter while Isaac napped. Hannah and I finished up some of daddy's Valentine's gifts together. Genevieve and I made Daddy a card too and then baked some heart shaped brownies for tonight's dessert.

Here is Genna baking. She is such a sweet girl. She saved some of the butterscotch pieces for her sister and brother since I let her eat a few while we were baking. What an angel!


Here is a little video I took of her while she was baking...



Here is the frame and card Hannah made for her dad. The frame came from Micheal's and we decorated it with scrapbook paper, glitter, etc. The idea for the card came from this friend.


Isaac made this card for Daddy. Idea came from here.


Here is the card Genevieve made for him.


And this Genna helped me make for someone special. Once we get a photo for it, we will get it in the mail. So it will be late.

1 comment:

almudena said...

i love love love hannah's hair!! looks beautiful. and every story you tell about genna's selflessness and kindness gets me teary-eyed every time.