Sunday, February 13, 2011

Quilts and Queens

Q was more challenging to find things to learn about. I had fantasies of a week of full of quiet, practicing silence as a discipline. We all know what a joke that is with three little ones. Luckily, there are quite a few good books about quilting in our library. My favorites were A Quilt Story by Tony Johnston and Tomie dePaola and The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco. For a craft, I desparately wanted to help Hannah make a mini doll quilt (very basic with four squares,) but she is still too young to do any of the steps on her own and since I am all tired and pregnant with my own projects stacking up all around me I opted out of this for this year. Instead, the girls made paper quilts with squares of construction paper. On each square, they were to draw something about themselves.


The only thing that I was able to find was a book called You Wouldn't Want to be Mary Queen of Scots, but this did not go over so well. The whole beheading thing was a bigger deal with them than I thought it would be. Oops. It was fun to read about the places we have actually been in Scotland, Edinburgh and Stirling Castles. Genevieve wanted to know if we saw the block that they chopped her head off on at one of the castles. Nope, sorry. That happened in England.

No comments: