Friday, June 24, 2011

Airplane Pros

My little ones are airplane pros! I have to say I always get nervous the night before our flight when I am "flying solo," meaning obviously without any adult help. Not meaning flying alone because I can only dream of such a flight at this stage in my life. However, there is truly no need. It is a wasted worry if I have ever had one. I was thinking that the trip home would be more difficult since the kids have been spoiled by grandparents, aunts, and uncles and we had two stops this time which is never ideal. Despite those factors, they did better than great. There were three one and a half hour legs in this flight with no plane changes. Not changing planes is easier on me, but harder on the kids since it means longer time to entertain them on the plane with less of a break in between. As it turns out we had no delays on the ground and were able to take bathroom breaks and stretch our legs a bit which killed most of the ground time.

For the first leg, Isaac worked on a sticker activity that I made him, sorting construction trucks, cars, and trains into their appropriate locations. Then he started his Thomas the Train No Mess activity book, basically a water paintbrush thing. The girls sticker-decorated and colored a Hello Kitty print out that I got online.

The second leg, Isaac and I played four rounds of Memory and one round of Go Fish with his new Thomas cards. The girls worked on word searches with their new found "grandma" friend who sat next to them. Then they made a note for their daddy from a print out that I got online at the same Hello Kitty website.

The final leg, Isaac and I ate our packed lunch and he fell asleep after only half of his sandwich was eaten. He slept until we landed which was excellent. The girls ate their lunch and then they played Old Maid and Memory together.

I pried the rest of his sandwich from his hands and gave him his crocodile.


The girls played so nicely across the aisle from me. Love my little social bugs being so independent and friendly to their neighbors!


Sadly, adding baby Speck into the mix is going to make flying home much more expensive even when he is a lap child because we no longer can squeeze into anyone's car with four car seats and boosters. Therefore, we will have to rent a car which is not cheap if we go for a long trip. So we may have to start road tripping it, but we shall see.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You are one brave mamma!