Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Baby On Board

Drew has traveled a ton this summer, both by plane and automobile.  What this has shown me about my baby boy is that he is a much better car traveler than airplane passenger.  All my kids have been better as babies on a plane than in the car.  It kind of makes sense because they can be held on the plane and not in the car.  Drew is a different kind of baby though and is not a huge fan of being held.  He likes to be exploring.  If I could have set him free on the plane to explore and meet people, he would have been much happier.  Of course, he might have been the only happy one on the plane if that was allowed.  He can't explore in the car seat, but he seems to just accept that he is trapped when he's strapped into a car seat.  I should mention that the exception to that rule is when he can see an adult.  If an adult sits in the back, he seems to know that they have the ability to get him out and gets a little fussy, but still no screaming usually.

I never got around to summarizing the driving experience from earlier this summer so I will summarize both the car trips and the plane trips that we just had.  First for the car, Drew was between the ages of 8.5 and 10 months roughly during our insane cross country trip in the 12 passenger rental van.  Our drives ranged from 2-12 hours a day throughout the trip.  On the way to Texas, Drew was able to take his regular naps at the right times and for the normal length which really helped kill time.  The first drive was to Nashville and we did this one over night.  We left just before dinner and got there (unfortunately for our hosts) just a little early at 4:30am TN time.  I was nervous about this, but thought it was worth a try.  Everyone went to sleep right on schedule and slept the whole time.  It would be the perfect solution if Brian and I could have slept too.  :)

When he was awake, our main source of entertainment for him was a secret weapon named Hannah.  She is so great with him and could even read while entertaining him some of the time.  She did get tired of it towards the end of the trip though.  Drew is usually content if you hand him a new toy or object every once in a while.  Hannah only had to be "on" when we ran out of things to hand him.  We reserved graham crackers for the fussier moments and that was that.  He was amazing!  All our children have traveled starting very young via car, plane, train, and even bus.  Out of the four children as babies, Hannah and Drew have been our best travelers in the car.  Isaac and Genna did a good amount of crying/screaming on long drives.

If you are looking for ideas on what to bring for your baby, I think it greatly depends on your baby's personality, likes and dislikes, and obsessions.  For example, Drew is not a huge book fan right now and so I didn't bring as many of those on this trip for him even though a giant box of books would have kept Hannah happy for hours at this age.  Drew loves balls, and I packed lots of different balls that he could easily keep hold of, especially ones with holes or squishy ones.  Drew will eat as long as you feed him, so we brought snacks he could eat on his own.  Drew loves Easter eggs too, so I threw in some of those and other random toys I noticed him playing with a lot about a week or two before we left.  An important thing I do to make the toys seem more special is pack them up a week or more before the trip so they seem new to him.  Also, I try to keep the basket of toys hidden so we can dole out one toy at a time instead of allowing him to go through it on his own in about 10 minutes.  Then I look for household items or items in my purse that I know he would be interested in exploring (obviously safe things). 

Now for the plane trips.  It was about 3.5 hours long each way.  There was an additional wait in the terminal because I am obsessive about getting to the airport 2 hours in advance so I don't get stressed.  He was just about 11 months for these flights.  Timing of flights obviously makes a difference in how entertainable or overly tired your baby is.  On the way there, we left the house at 5:15am and we flew out at 8am.  Drew was tired and ready for a nap early as soon as we were in the air.  He had trouble settling down to sleep so I nursed him until he fell asleep which is not my normal deal, but you do what you have to when you are on a plane full of people.  He slept probably half of the flight, about 1 1/2 hours.  When he woke up we killed time by going to the bathroom for a diaper change.  Then I pulled out snacks because I hadn't eaten breakfast.  The last hour of the flight was entertaining.  Drew played with a single sticker for 10 minutes.  We put it on our heads and on the airplane window.  He thought it was pretty funny.  He played with a bottle of pipe cleaners for a bit.  He found my airplane cup super fun to crush after I was finished with my water.  He played with the window on the plane for a while.  He liked looking out as we landed.  It went pretty well and I didn't even touch most of what I brought to entertain him with.  What was difficult about Drew is that he wanted down, but not just to stand between my legs, but to crawl around which wasn't possible.  The instant he got tired of a certain toy or frustrated that he couldn't fall asleep, he would throw his body back and fuss.  He was fairly easily distracted, but this is not something my other children did more than once on a flight, if that.  He did it as a transition between each activity.

The flight back was a totally different time of the day and a much more difficult one, at that.  The flight was from 4:45pm to 9:15pm (with time change).  This meant his afternoon nap was in the car on the way to the airport.  So it was short and not good enough to have a happy baby.  The airport was smaller than Dulles, so we had to wait at the terminal a lot longer even with going to get dinner to take on the plane with us.  The flight was a tiny bit late as well.  He was bored and unhappy long before we boarded the plane.  It was time to nurse him and eat dinner when we were finally seated, but he was exhausted.  So I nursed him but he fell asleep.  (I should mention that when a lady sitting behind me saw me starting to nurse him, she offered to switch seats with me since she had no one sitting next to her and I was sitting next to a man.  That was a life saver!  I hope to pay that forward some day.  She said she had been there before.)  Anyway, when he woke up from a half hour nap, he ate dinner with me.  Then I pulled out almost everything in my bag trying to keep him quiet, happy, and not kicking the seat in front of us.  He is so wiggly!  He was climbing up me trying to see over the chairs and smiling and laughing at people around us.  He's just a lot of work, not naughty.

The toys I tried on the return flight that kept him happy for any period of time were, a small case with pom pom balls, a car, Chinese finger trap, a spoon, plastic tweezers.  He also played with the ice in my cup.  Things that were rejected were books and picture cards.  The toys I forgot to get out were a wind up ladybug, fake vampire teeth, and a couple random items that I couldn't describe if I had to.  He ate some Cheerios.  I made it take a long time by putting one Cheerio into a medicine cup that he had and he would take it out and eat it.  He likes taking things out of containers these days.  The time passed pretty quickly and I nursed him again as we landed because he was overdue for his bedtime nursing and his bedtime.

A funny story about going through security.  I kept setting off the metal detector with Drew in the sling.  I was taking bobby pins out of my hair, everything I could think of and still set it off.  Turns out it was Drew's overalls that set it off.  They asked me to take them off, but then felt bad and told me to try to pull them down and tuck them under him.  This worked for some reason.  Note to self: Never dress children in overalls when flying! 

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing this! Maggie and I have similar flights lined up. I know she is younger, but it's encouraging to know you still stress about it too... Or can be stressed about it. You've helped prepare me, which always helps!