Saturday, February 2, 2013

My Worst Nightmare

My worst nightmare (or one of the top ten) with a houseful of young children is a highly contagious stomach virus that involves two buckets.  And that's just what we have here.  I was awoken at 3am by Genna telling me her stomach hurt.  She didn't feel warm and so I asked if she thought she was going to throw up.  She says yes and I ask her why she isn't in the bathroom then.  She lays her head down on me and as I am standing her up to walk her back to bed, it happens.  She throws up all over me, my bed, my carpet, and even my night stand.  Needless to say I never went back to sleep.  I was cleaning in between running her to the bathroom for more puking.  She threw up more than a dozen times between then and 1pm.  Then it started coming out the other end.  At this point she had not been able to even keep one sip of water down.  She was unable to stand without help and she could barely walk.  I was getting ready to take her to the ER to get some anti-vomiting medicine since our doctor's office was closed when she turned a corner.  She topped throwing up while we waited for Brian to come home from work.  She felt much better then.  It is so heartbreaking to watch your child go through that. I am praying the rest of the family doesn't get it although I know that is unlikely from what I have heard about this bug going around.  It sticks around a long time on surfaces and you shed it long after you are symptom-free.  Lots of disinfectant and hand-washing in our future, not to mention the laundry in my future.

Pray for us!  When I was pregnant with Genna I had a bad stomach bug like this and ended up in the hospital with an IV.  Hoping that doesn't happen again!

No comments: