Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ashes Ashes

Today was a bit rough, but we made it. I won't go into details of our adventures today, I would rather focus on what's really important. We went to Mass at noon and got our ashes. Isaac had rubbed his off before Mass was even over. (When he is tired, he rubs his head on everyone and everything and noon is right in the middle of nap time.) During nap and rest time I got most of my Lenten decor up around the house. I am reusing my calendar I made last year. I scattered my purple cloth and ribbons on our religious items just like last year as well. I don't have my dry earth ready yet, but I plan to put it in a real pot this year on my kitchen window sill instead of on the table where I have this crown of thorns...

waiting for little bitty charitable, obedient, loving people to do good deeds and remove the thorns (toothpicks) from it. Genna already got to remove the first thorn when she jumped down off her tired daddy's tummy to move a kid chair closer to him so he could rest his arm on it without anyone even mentioning that he needed one. His arm was dangling and she jumped to assistance. So generous and thoughtful!

I gathered books to use for Lent. Two apostle books, four saint books, and the Stations of the Cross for the itty bitties...


and a few for the mama too.


This next photo is less than aesthetically pleasing, but it illustrates one of our main goals for this Lent. I hung rosaries for the kids and I on the nails that held the stockings not too long ago above the fire. (Brian carries his in his pocket so his is not there.) I did this because before we pray and read bedtime stories we plan to say a decade of the rosary as a family on at least three or four nights a week. We used to do this, but got away from it when I was having to play double roles in 2009. So Lent is a perfect time to get back into the swing of things here.


Our family sacrifice is to give up desserts and candy ("except on Sundays," the girls will remind you!)

1 comment:

Becca said...

just wanted to say I read Love Dare, and found it to be excellent! I think it's a great book for any marriage, old or young