Monday, February 1, 2010

Blanket Time


I have tried blanket time out many times before only to quit because, well basically, I wasn't up for it. Blanket time , quickly summarized, is where you put your toddler on a blanket with a limited amount of toys and set a timer. The toddler has to stay on the blanket until the timer buzzes, increasing the time gradually. This is to teach boundaries and obedience, and the ultimate goal is to move to room time. I didn't do blanket time with the girls because I somehow skipped over it in the book Toddlerwise. I have friends that have had great success with this, and since Isaac is having trouble with naps I thought we would try this again to see if learning clearer boundaries and obedience in this particular way would help him in his crib during nap time. I started with 8 minutes and he did great this time. Other times he has thrown fits or had to be placed back on the blanket too many times to count. All I had to do today was explain the "game" and show him the timer. I asked if he understood, and he replied, "Ding!" So I took that as a "Yes." When he rolled his car off the blanket, I said, "Uh oh, you can't get that toy because you can't get off the blanket." Then he rolled another toy off (but not as far), and he looked at me and laid down on his belly to reach for the toy so he was still on the blanket. Yea! He started to get off one time, but listened when I told him "No." I hope I am not jumping the gun by thinking this is going to be easy now. Since we are snowed in with no place to go a lot these days, I think we shall dedicate some time to this on an almost daily basis.

4 comments:

Becca said...

We've definitely had days where Caleb moves off the blanket 3,4,10 times in one session. :) It can certainly get frustrating! I just try to keep nonchalant about it and move him back on. Usually it's just one day of testing and he's back to doing great for months. But hey, I'd rather this testing phase be done in the confines of a blanket rather than out in public :)

Amy said...

I'm interested in how this works out. I've never heard of it but it sounds like a great idea. What age do they recommend for it? I'm curious to know if it helps with naptime. What kind of trouble is he having with naps?

Beau said...

That is a great idea for Peyton! She needs boundries as well and I have no idea how to teach them to her in a constructive manner. This is a great idea. I am going to try "blanket time" tomorrow.

Kelle said...

Amy, I think they say it is good around 15 months to start it. Isaac actually asks for "Blanket time" now. I keep some toys up specifically for that time since we are still in the training phase. It helps to keep him interested. I do think it helps with nap time. He was just screaming when I put him down when he has been falling asleep on his own since he was 4 months old. He's back to normal now.