Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jack Frost's still nipping at our noses!


I just can't believe the snow keeps falling! On Sunday, American Masses were canceled. Local German ones had no reason to cancel since every one can walk there. So that's where we went. Truthfully, this was the plan all along because some kids from the girls' school were acting out the presentation at the temple. We tromped through the deepening snow while Genna said her legs hurt the whole way there. (The girl needs more exercise, I guess.) The kids were excellent during Mass! We are actually considering attending this local Mass more regularly. We know enough about the Mass and enough German to get by and we found that singing the songs with the words in front of us helps us with our pronunciation (which stinks!)

Anyway, when we got back I decided to help out our neighbor and shovel his sidewalk so the kids could play out in the snow since we were all bundled up already.

This is our street if you can even find it under the foot of snow. I have never, in all my years in upstate New York seen a road this completely covered. It makes me want to throw my head back and scream, "Plows!" or "Salt!" into the quiet powdery village. I love snow, but I long for some confidence that I can get back up the hill when it is time to come home.


Shoveling

Snow Angel, in the pile of snow that I created by shoveling


I may have dumped a bit of snow on his unsuspecting head.


After some tummy warming potato soup for lunch and naps we went to our village ski/sled slope. The kids did not have as much fun as last time. Hannah and Isaac only went down the hill once, and Genna got all the rest of the turns. Genna enjoyed it until she got too cold.

Snowball standing...

By the ski lodge, there was a wine barrel picnic table.

All the Germans were laughing at Isaac's nose warming scarf ensemble.


Of course, we ended the day with hot chocolate and a fire

1 comment:

Becca said...

I'm impressed he kept it on his nose! He must've needed it! :)