Monday, February 15, 2010

Stuck in the middle with you!

I was able to take Genna out on a (I don't know what to call it) "mommy-daughter get out of the house without everyone else thing" between Mass and the rest of our Valentine's Day plans. I took her to get her hair trimmed and we had lunch and ice cream afterwards. Maybe you could call it a date, but a haircut doesn't seem like a date. I digress. This turned out to be just what we needed. Lately, I have felt like I haven't had time to enjoy her, in particular, because I am always hurrying her along, switching shoes to the appropriate feet, turning dresses around the right way, and trying desperately to listen to and understand her really long, sometimes making no sense at all, stories while cooking and feeding the baby. On our little trip, she was her usual unique, backwards self. She wanted to ride up and down the escalator, "until you make me stop" she said. She asked questions like, "What is a galaxy?" and "Are we Catholic?" (I was hoping she knew this one already, but I am sure it is just a semantics issue.) She also asked me, "Who are the people who don't believe in Jesus?" After I explained and said that we should pray for them, she said, "Oh mom, I can't wait to see them in Heaven when they change their minds!" She's a sweet girl with such a sweet heart. My favorite moment from our outing was sitting on the bench listening to her talk and watching her forget she was holding an ice cream cone and turn it over dripping it all over the place. It so reminds me of my mom! What a treasure!

No comments: