Friday, September 21, 2012

Are Isaac's muscles are getting bigger?

Isaac and Drew had their 1 and 4 year well checks on Monday.  This means that it was time for shots also. I decided that I would be a bit more cautious about the immunizations that I got for them.  I passed on a couple to do more research on them and then decided that the chicken pox was not something I wanted to get anymore.  Anyway, I say all this to tell you that Isaac got 2 shots in one arm (combined 7 immunizations into those two shots.)  Drew just had one in his leg.  Isaac came up to me the next day saying, "Mom, this is so cool.  Look, my muscles are getting bigger!"  I turn around to see his muscles, and I saw a swollen arm that was red and felt hot.  This at first alarmed me, but later I have had many the random smiles and giggles thinking of how cute he was thinking his muscles were getting bigger.  I showed the arm (swollen and red about the diameter of an apple) to Brian.  A conversation followed about at what point I should be concerned.  Isaac's shoulders slump and he says dejectedly, "Oh, I thought my muscles were getting bigger."  I just want to squeeze that cutie!

I was not very on top of things and didn't write down or really even listen to their height and weight very closely.  I think that Drew was 22.5 pounds and 32 inches.  I could be off a bit.  Drew's percentiles, according to that info in an online calculator, are 95% height and 50% weight.  Drew has lost weight from all his illnesses in the last month, but just a pound from my estimation.  I think Isaac was 40 pounds and 45 inches.  He is about 80% for weight and 95% for height.

While getting the immunizations Drew decided to make it a tradition to fall out of his stroller.  (He fell out of his stroller when Isaac hung on the rails while we were about to get our flu shots last year.  He slept through it all and didn't hit the ground or anything.  He fell from the infant seat into the big kid part of the stroller when it flipped.)  This time he was strapped in, but the top part of the five point harness was broken.  I was standing right there and talking to the nurse when I heard something that caught my attention.  Drew was sitting on the ground next to the stroller.  No idea how he got out, but he wasn't hurt so he must not have landed on his head.  What a monster!  I guess I need to get on that mending the five point harness.  Better yet, I'll just get him a straight jacket or something.  I've heard duct tape is very strong.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Are you going to do a blog post about immunizations? Which ones you chose and those you didn't based on your research?

Kelle said...

Yes, I suppose I could. Basically I just am not getting the vaccines that were made from or used fetal stem cells in their production. This excludes the ones that are life or death kind of diseases. The Church okayed the MMR for that reason even though it used fetal stem cells. Things like chicken pox just don't seem worth it. Moral reasons more than the whole "vaccines cause autism" business. Not really buying that without any research to back it up.