Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Second First Day of School


Saturday these three cuties had their first day of German Saturday school!  Yay for them, and a double Yay for me!  I get Saturday mornings free since I will be leaving baby Drew with his daddy whenever I take them to school, and Drew takes a morning nap anyway. 

Drew wanted in the picture.
Seeing as Isaac never gets left anywhere but with people we know well, I wasn't sure how he was going to do in a classroom without anyone he knows and without his sisters.  He did super great!  He insisted on bringing his teacher an apple, and that got him a hug from the teacher right off.  There was a big wooden pirate ship in his room, and that made him sooo happy.  He said he had the "best room."

When I picked him up, the teacher said that he did very well and was a sweet boy.  I already knew that, but it is always nice to hear it from somebody else!  He is a sweet boy!

Showing off their backpacks
The girls were a little nervous until they found out that they were combining the first and second graders into one class.  Then they were fine!  Genna was excited to make new friends.  They were all excited about packing up backpacks.  When I picked them up, they showed me their zahlenbuchen, which is a "number book" that they made in class.  The girls' teacher spoke almost completely in German the whole class.  Hannah said that she showed them what she was saying instead of translating it for them.  I am hoping Hannah's German comes back easily.

I like how this will give them a little taste of "real school" without having to be fully in "real school."  They are even going to get to take a bus to school starting next week because of limited parking and traffic problems.  They encourage you to use the bus drop off system.  I think it will be fine, but I may ride it with them next week to make sure Isaac gets to and from his class okay.  I haven't decided yet.  It means I have to sit in the cafeteria again during the classes, but I don't mind that too much.  I just did some sewing and had a German pretzel. 

No comments: