Monday, September 10, 2012

Captain America!

My Captain America!
This was a late birthday gift for Isaac.  I meant to have the shield ready on his birthday to go with his mask that I gave him, but with Drew's bursitis thing and visiting my sister it got put on hold.  I finished it last week since I didn't have to do school prep anymore.  I found this tutorial a while back on Pinterest.  It wasn't hard, but it was a bit time-consuming with lots of steps.  I just worked on it a little every evening and finished it up during a nap time.  It is a lot bigger than he needs, but I didn't want to mess with shrinking the pattern.  It was raining when I finished it and he couldn't wait for it to stop so he could practice throwing it.  It is made out of cardboard, polypropylene rope, and colored duct tapes.  I also cut some straps off a bag that we didn't need to make the straps on the back of the shield.  (You can see the white straps a little in the picture with Drew, below.)  It is light enough that it won't kill anybody or give anyone a concussion (although I am sure it would feel good to have it thrown at you,) but sturdy enough to throw and play with, I hope. 

Even Drewy likes it.  I may just have to make a mini version for him.

No comments: