Tuesday, September 4, 2012

This Year's Curriculum Plan


First things first, I prepared for this year a lot different than in the past.  Someone mentioned during a homeschool discussion that they read you should do all copying and lesson plans for the whole year before the year starts.  My first thought was, "That is just crazy!  I would never be able to do that!"  The more I thought about it though, the more it made sense.  I wasted time either every evening  or every Sunday evening getting ready for the next day or week.  Then I thought I wouldn't have to do the laborious copying myself.  I could go to a copy center.  

Yes, I actually did it.  I have lesson plans for my co-op, lists of supplies for each week, library books, lesson plans for the kids down to the page numbers, and a lot of copies.  I copied coloring sheets, maps, tests, some math worksheets (if I only had one, the girls both are on the 2nd grade math level,) and various other items.  I even got some things laminated.  It was a lot of copies and turned out to be a bit expensive too.  It took some serious time too.  I am talking about 5 weeks of working on it during most of Drew's naps and many evenings, 2-5 hours a day.  The rest of the time we tried to enjoy summer though.  As of now, I am glad I did it.  The only prep work I should have is to put library books on hold and gather supplies for crafts and science experiments every other week.  (I will have to do the lesson plans for the last 10 weeks of school over Christmas break for math only because I didn't order the second set of books yet.)  I am hoping this solves my problem of never having time to do anything but school stuff during the year.  The time I used to spend getting ready for school during the year better not be replaced by everyday junk.  I better have time to get ready for Advent, do Christmas shopping, sew gifts for people, and that kind of stuff.  Well, that seems like a lot of stuff, but I better have time for at least some of that!


My favorite part was putting this all in binders for the girls so they can do more self starting.  I love organizing!  I was showing it to Hannah and explaining the new system to her.  She said, "Wow, I can't wait to start school!  You made it all look so exciting!"  A girl after my own heart!  Genna's is the dog one, and Hannah gets the kitty one.

The binders have a page for each week that has lessons on a chart broken down by the day and on the back of that sheet is library/reading lists for the week.  I know Hannah will love checking stuff off.  Genna will not, especially when Hannah marks things off more quickly than her.  Behind the week's lesson plans are any loose worksheets for that week.  So organized!  Only half of the year fit in these binders, so I put the rest of it at the back their big binder that will hold all their completed work.

I am loving The Well Trained Mind curriculum, so we are continuing with that.  The only thing I am not super happy with is spelling.  We switched over the summer to Spelling Workout, but I am not thrilled with it.  We are going to continue with it until the books I bought are finished and if I feel like we need a change then I am considering the Phonetic Zoo.  It was recommended to me by a friend and looks great from what I read.  The girls may be slightly lagging in the spelling department, but we'll catch up here soon, I hope.  (Disclaimer:  I am the worst speller and am so thankful for automatic spell checks!)  

Hannah's and Genna's curriculum and textbook books are listed below.  Genna's books are almost the same with the exception of health.  I have pieced a few things together for her health to cover fire safety, hygiene, nutrition, and first aid.  Genna will also not being doing the Intensive Practice for math because, although she is a math whiz, she is very easily distracted and slow at her worksheets (just like her mother.)  Hey, slow and steady wins the race!

Curriculum & Textbook List
2nd Grade 2012/2013
Classically Catholic Memory: Beta Year (CCM)
Grammar/Writing
First Language Lessons  (Part 2) by Jesse Wise
English from the Roots up: Volume 2 (flash cards)
Spelling
Spelling Workout A & B
Science
REAL Science Odyssey Earth and Space  
Rock and Mineral Kit
Math
Primary Mathematics Textbook , Workbook, and ~Teacher's Manual 1B by Singapore
Primary Mathematics Textbook , Workbook, and Teacher's Manual 2A & 2B by Singapore
Extra Practice 1 & 2 by Singapore
Intensive Practice 1A, 1B, 2A & 2B by Singapore
History
Story of the World 2 (textbook, activity guide, and test book) by Susan Wise Bauer
The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia by Charlotte Evans
The Usborne Internet Linked History Encyclopedia
CCM Maps and Timeline Cards
Health
The Care and Keeping of You (American Girl book) (Hannah only)
Religion:
Seton Religion 2
CCM Beta
Languages:
German Saturday School
Latin-Classically Catholic Memory Beta Year (Teacher’s Manual) & English from the Roots up:  Volume 2 (flash cards)
Art
Discovering Great Artists by Kim Solga and MayAnn F. Kohl
Music:
Piano Lessons 1 hour/week (practice 15 minutes/school day)
PE:
basketball


We are starting school today!  So pray for us! 

No comments: