Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I've been wanting to do this forever!

Before picture
 Cover our old highchair, that is.  Well, not forever, but for a few months at least.  We are a little overly dramatic around here.  This highchair has been around for 8 years now and through 4 kids.  It is looking pretty gross.  The highchair is in great condition minus one wheel not locking and the ugly old seat pad.  So I have been putting old towels under Drew so I could shake out the mess every evening, but even this is getting tiresome.  I want something more wipe-able than the one we have which has too many creases to wipe easily and stains when covered in pasta sauce. 

After picture
 To make it, I used the old seat pad to cut my fabric to the right shape.  I was in a hurry so that I could finish it in one afternoon nap time.  In hindsight I should have cut the fabric even bigger so that it wrapped around the back of the pad more.  I used elastic to get it to fit around the seat pad.  I used a clear shower curtain liner for under $3 to put over the fabric and make it easy to clean (I am going to use the left overs to cover all my cloth bibs one of these days.) 

Looks pretty good all put together.  Now we'll have to see if it passes the "Drew test."
 Drew is very messy.  Our messiest baby yet.  Many a night he goes straight from the highchair to the sink for a quick bath.  I literally take his clothes and diaper off before taking him out of the chair.  Want to see what I am talking about?


It was in his hair and all the way down to his toes.

But don't worry, he cleans up nice! 
Anyway back to my new chair, I will have to post later on how functional this thing is.  You would hope that I would be an expert on this stuff and would have thought of everything, but I was in a hurry so you never know.
I've always loved this fabric.  I've had some left over for a long while and hadn't found the right use for it until now.  It goes well with our kitchen colors and is gender neutral.  I have it covering the old seat pad right now because otherwise there would be no padding at all.


No comments: