Monday, November 22, 2010

Jellyfish and Jump Ropes

We learned about jellyfish this week. Genna is now very afraid of them since learning that they paralyze their prey with their tentacles. I thought knowledge was supposed to reduce fear, not create it. I tried to explain that regular sized jellyfish they don't paralyze and eat people because we are too big, but then we read that the biggest jellyfish has 200 foot long tentacles. Well, at least we won't be running into them on a regular basis, right?

Here are their handmade jellyfish. We used tissue paper, applesauce cups, glitter, and yarn. I had to help Isaac with most of it because threading it turned out to be a bit of a challenge.


Hannah, my little perfectionist, was upset because I cracked hers a little when nailing a hole and that it, and I quote, "didn't look enough like a real jellyfish." Apparently, it looked too much like a bell.

Then we read jump rope rhymes and practiced jumping rope, but I think we lack the coordination for true jump roping. So we abandoned that and did jumping jacks and follow the leader jumping all over our driveway.

In other school news, Genna is almost half way through her 100 Easy Lessons reading book and just sailing right along. Hannah is really improving on her reading and reads about three beginning readers to me every school day. Hannah is almost finished with her whole year of kindergarten Singapore math book and so I am going to switch curricula with a friend who was doing Saxon math and finished early. That way I can make a final decision about which track to get her started on. She is really doing well with the Singapore, but I keep hearing everyone raving about Saxon, so I just want to see if she is just as capable of doing Saxon math and whether or not I prefer it over Singapore. I am also waiting on a book for next semester to help Hannah with some phonetical problems. It is called The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading.

Sorry I have been a little scarce around here lately. Time just got away from me. I've got lots to post, just need the time to do it. We are taking the week off to do kitchen renovations and have Thanksgiving and Hannah's birthday party. We'll be busy as usual, just not with routine stuff.

No comments: