Saturday, April 27, 2013

Getting Ready for Her Special Day


Even though Hannah has the latest First Communion ever this year, we are trying to get ready with the details now.  We've been preparing for this her whole life spiritually, but there are physical details that have to be managed as well.  We worked on her banner together one Friday evening after all the kids were in bed so we wouldn't be disturbed.  Genevieve was reading and came down once to see how it was going.  She can hardly wait for her turn to come.  Luckily, she only has to wait one year for that.  

Anyway, since I am a convert, I knew nothing about this whole First Communion banner stuff, but once I looked at a few blogs about it, I figured this was right up my alley.  So I came up with a stained glass window basic plan because I thought Hannah could do it well, with little help.  I let Hannah pick what we would put on the window.  She picked a dove and a chalice and host.  I got the sticky felt letters before I noticed the rules said it had to be on a white background, so we had to make the stained glass big enough to contain the white letters.

This was taken before she added her glitter puff paint accents.  I turned it in already and forgot to get the final picture.
As for the dress, we had some trouble with it.  I ordered it March 1st and never received it.  The company was difficult to get in contact with; impossible is more like it.  We had to contact Paypal and have them deal with it. In the meantime, I was getting nervous that we wouldn't get it in time or just barely and not have time for alterations or an exchange.  I decided to try to cancel the order and go shopping at actual stores with Hannah to see what we could find.  The only dress with sleeves at David's Bridal turned out to be her favorite dress ever!  That is saying a lot for my picky girl.  She didn't think it was itchy in the least.  So we bought it, a tiara of her choice, and some shoes (from Payless,) all in an afternoon.  

Well, this dress is very suited to Hannah and wouldn't suite my fancy Genna at all.  So when the company finally replies and tells me they just shipped the dress, I decided to keep it for Genna next year.  My original plan was to have the girls wear the same dress, but plans changed with this mess.  I am not showing a preview of Hannah's actual dress, but I did have her try the one that came in the mail on to see if alterations will likely be necessary.  (They are!  It's too long!)  Anyway, she tried it on and it happened to be on the same day that I did her practice hair for her First Communion.  So these shots I will show...

These are the practice hair shots.  I can't decide if the tiara should be in front or behind the braid.

She looks like a queen...to me anyway.  Genna was in awe of the dress, so I think it will work out nicely for her next year.

Seriously, I wish she could wear this dress, but I know the other, plainer one, will suite her better.  When we were buying the dress at David's Bridal and I was lamenting the plainness of the dress she loved, she told me, "Mom, I am just not a fancy girl."  She's right.  So that's why I bought it for her, and you'll see that dress soon soon on my beautiful daughter who is growing up entirely too fast.
I am reading a book about Blessed Imelda, Patron Saint of First Communicants to the children right now.  I am also trying to make Hannah a baby clothes scrap quilt for her main gift for her big day.  This was a way bigger project than I anticipated.  There is so much measuring and cutting compared to the easy baby quilts I usually do.  At this point, I am hoping that I have the top complete by the 18th of May, but I have a crucifix necklace and a statue for her as well.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

If my vote counts, I like the tiara in front of the braid. :) beautiful job...you amaze me, Kelli!

Mary said...

Kelle! You are right! Hannah does look like a queen! So beautiful! Genna will look stunning in that dress next year! =)