Sunday, April 14, 2013

My Quest to Please the Unpleasable

 I have been making quite the stack of summer clothes for the girls.  Genna is easy and already has a bunch of dresses which she would be happy to wear everyday.  I took all of the winter leggings with holes in them and cut them off to make capri leggings to go under skirts and dresses for her. 


Hannah is where the problem lies.  She didn't really like the maxi dress that I made her because it has a seam that is itchy (FYI: all seams are itchy to her.) 

Here's another maxi dress I tried where I sewed down the seam to make it softer, but the armpits were apparently uncomfortable.  Fail!  To make it, I used an adult skirt from the thrift store and an old shirt.  This took almost no time compared to making the dress from purchased fabric and a t-shirt and was less than half the price.
But luckily someone doesn't care what things feel like, just what they look like!  Success!  If you can even call it that since, as I said before, she has a million dresses.

Hannah didn't like any of the capri leggings because she likes things loose.  So we painstakingly went through her summer clothes that we already have and eliminated all clothes that she couldn't stand which was almost all of them.  Then I set out to duplicate the only kind of capri/shorts she likes which are basically clam-diggers, which are loose, flowy capris.  The first one I made was a fail because I used a band she didn't like.  The second one was a success.  I made it out of one of Brian's old t-shirts with a soft elastic band.  The third one, I tried to make cuter, and you know that was a fail.  

Here was my attempt at cute-ing up the capris.  I took a thrift store skirt and cut out a triangle out of the bottom, then sewed them together as pants.  Cute?  Yes, but...Fail!  Itchy seams!  I am going to attempt to line them with a t-shirt material, but I have my doubts it will please my little Goldilocks.

Hannah liked most of the skirts though.  This was another thrift store find that I had to altar just a bit.  Genna will be borrowing them, I am certain.

I made these pants with holes in the knees into capris since Hannah used to love them as pants.  Alas, they failed the test as well.  They are tighter than last year.  Notice Genna's summer closet is growing, but Hannah's...not so much.
Hannah did like this patchwork skirt, but Genna modeled it for me.
What is amazing is that the first dress Hannah tried on for her First Communion was a total success.  She loved it!  She also found shoes that very day to match that she loved.  I was in shock since I was sure all communion dresses would be itchy, but this one was virtually seamless inside AND it was the only one at the store that had sleeves which was a bonus because getting her to wear a shrug over a sleeveless one would have been impossible.

1 comment:

The Pilots Wife said...

I feel your pain! Is it a first born problem? :)