Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Happy Easter

 Egg dyeing happened on Saturday morning before my hair appointment and our dinner party that evening. (Dinner party sounds way more elegant than it really was since there were 21 kids present!)

Drew had to be contained during the dyeing and the ice cubes didn't last long enough this time.  So I let him pretend to dye his own plastic eggs with cups and egg holders.  I didn't even have to put water in there and he had a blast for the whole time it took my big kids to dye 9 eggs each.  Score!



Saturday night after the kids went to bed, I started my lamb cake, changed our alter from "Lent to Easter," and put their Easter baskets together. 


There are exactly four color combinations of things in the store, I have noticed.  In the future, when Tad joins us, I am going to have to start labeling since I will have to double up on one of the colors.  Tad got the big Peep bunny in the middle.
I took off our purple altar cloth, added egg lights and hung our Alleluia sign on the crucifix.


My cute boys on Sunday morning before Mass

Drew did not like his Velcro tie this year, and this is the only picture I got after Mass before he ripped it off again.



They were so very excited to get home and see their baskets!

Can you feel the love for the Cadbury Egg?

After Easter baskets, I got the ham in the oven and started icing the lamb cake.  I used my moist chocolate cake recipe this year and it caused a few issues getting him out of the pan nicely.  I fixed this with a little icing used as glue, but just as I finished icing his beautiful face I noticed he was leaning.  Isaac was standing there admiring the cake and waiting to lick up the left over icing, when his head broke off and he did a face plant.  The lamb cake, not Isaac.  There was nothing I could do but watch.  I laughed so hard and just picked him up and stuck him back on, mauled face and all.

The slain lamb.  Wow!  What a bomb!
 The funniest part was that I put him in the fridge to help harden the icing and save him from falling again.  When I opened the fridge later, his head fell right out onto the floor.  Again I laughed so hard.  It was a lesson in humility for me since I had to take it to a party that afternoon.  Luckily, good friends will laugh right along with you and not judge you when your lamb cake has no head when you arrive at their house.

The party consisted of a 17 kid Easter egg hunt.  It rained most of the day, but we decided to brave the drizzle and mud in the name of good fun and memories made.



Drew found 3 whole eggs all by himself.   He had a head start though.

Genna cracked us up trying to get a dangling egg just out of her reach by jumping with her basket full of eggs in her hand.  Of course, all of the eggs are spilling out as she is trying for this one.  It was the Lost Sheep Parable in action.  Hannah came along, set her basket down and jumped up to take the egg for herself.  Such different girls.




No comments: