Sunday, August 17, 2008

The rest of the first week...

Monday: Well, the first night didn't go well at all. Isaac slept pretty well in the hospital at night, but the nurses did help out for one 2 or 3 hour chunk a night so I could sleep better. The first night home, he didn't want to stay asleep once I laid him down. So, around 3am, Daddy took a shift so I could sleep for 3 hours or so.

Tuesday: That night, he had another night where he would not sleep longer than 30 minutes in his Moses basket. So my mother-in-law (God bless her!) stayed up with him all night bringing him to me to nurse. That was a huge help to my sanity, because Genna was very sick all this time and VERY needy of my attention during the day.
Wednesday: He had his doctor's appointment. He had to have another jaundice test (there was not an elevation of his levels so they didn't readmit him to the hospital) and get weighed. He had lost a whole pound and weighed 9lbs 4ozs, which I thought was fine since my milk was just starting to come in. But the doc wanted me to bring him in the next day to make sure he would gain some back now that the milk was in. He slept a lot during the day, but I tried to keep him up here and there so he'd sleep better at night. Which (Praise God!) he did sleep better that night. In fact, I had to wake him up to nurse him every 4 hours, which is not easy to do. After all, we did have an impending weight check to make the next day!This is Brian's maternal grandmother (Great Nanna to the kids) who was one of our many visitors in these past weeks.

Thursday: At the weight check, he had to be weighed and then reweighed because the doctors and nurses did not believe it was possible for him to have gained 8ozs over night. They ended up concluding that there had been a mistake in the weight the day before. I, however, was there and don't believe this. I think I am going to have a big big boy! That night, I had some hope that my milk coming in solved the problem, but alas he had another bad night.
We also had our first big spit up that day and had to change clothes. He's not too bad of a spitter, compared to the girls. But if I don't get a good burp, it does happen.


Friday: Our company all left for the airport early and Daddy took the girls with him so Isaac and Mommy could try to rest. My cleaning lady came in the morning and, by noon the house looked great! Then Isaac and I rested in the afternoon. We then went to the evening Mass to celebrate the Assumption of Mary. That night Isaac slept great, going 6 hours between feedings at one point because I didn't wake up at the 4 hour mark! I must have thanked God like a million times that next day.

Saturday: This was our last day with Daddy before his big work trip. We went to a baby flea market, and everyone oohed and aahed over the newborn. One mom told her infant, "You were never that small." I said, "Oh, I bet he was. Isaac is 10lbs." She said, "Oh, then you were even smaller than that! Wow!"

Then we met friends for lunch at Taco Bell with their newborn too. Their little boy is 1 week and a half older than Isaac, and Isaac outweighs him still. Here's a picture (Isaac's in the back, in case you can't tell):
Then we took quick naps and went to the vigil Mass. Last night Isaac slept great again, with me waking him every 4 hours to nurse. Praise the Lord! With Brian gone the next 10 days, I need as many good nights as I can get!

This was also the day I had been expecting all week. The day I got peed on for the first time! I heard this about boys, and I was waiting for it to finally happen. Well, it did! Three times in one day, actually, while I was checking out his circumcision site. I am very bad at cleaning up boys so far. If anyone has any tips, feel free to share. :)

1 comment:

Leah said...

All these pictures are adorable! Hannah's hair cut looks really good! Hope you continue to get sleep while Brian is gone!
Love, Leah