Friday, July 15, 2011

Chores and allowance for an almost 3 year old

We did not start allowance this early with the girls, but because he sees his sisters getting an allowance and having a chore chart he wants in on the action.

What chores can an almost 3 year old do and actually be helpful? Well, I have decided that any little thing that he can take off my plate is helpful so here are his chores.

Dressing himself in the morning and at night
Putting his shoes on and away when he takes them off
Putting his night time Pull-up in the trash can
Getting his own cereal or yogurt out for breakfast as well as his bowl and spoon
Putting his breakfast dishes in the dishwasher/sink when he is finished
Helping his sisters unload the silverware from the dishwasher
Cleaning up his toys
Cleaning up after his lunch
Helping his sisters set the table for dinner (Although they truly do not like to relinquish any of their chores to him. Weirdos! One day they will be begging to get out of chores.)
Putting his dinner dishes in the dishwasher
Pushing in the chairs at the dinner table
Filling ice cube trays (This was Genna's job, but he loves it so much that I usually let him do it.)
Feeding himself (This one I added because he got a teensie bit spoiled in Texas with family volunteering to feed him too much.)

I am going to be adding putting his clean clothes away in drawers soon.

It seems like a long list all broken down like that, but really it isn't much and doesn't take much time at all, but it saves me quite a bit in the end. Besides, he loves it! Sometimes I even give him extra chores because he gets bored and starts asking me for "work" or a "job." It reminds me of Hannah. Here he is after successfully filling the ice trays. I don't know what the poor boy will do once we finally get a plumber to put a water line in and hook up our fridge so it will make our ice for us.


I should add that, yes, sometimes crumbs get spilled when he is taking his dishes to the sink and water gets outside the sink (maybe even all over the floor from time to time) when he rinses off his plate or bowl, but I just don't care. It is how they learn, and it is worth it to me.

How much allowance do you give an almost 3 year old? (I am sorry, but I refuse to call him a 3 year old until his actual birthday. I have to add the "almost" even though it is less than a month until the big day. Sniff sniff. After all, I don't want him to grow up any faster than he has to.) Since he has no concept of money yet, the answer may make you laugh. I only give him a penny a week. He thinks it is the best thing ever and safely sticks it in his turtle bank every week. I may be accused of slave labor after making this confession.

My next goal is to start teaching all the kids about tithing, but one tenth of their meager allowance adds up to tithing their allowance every ten weeks which is hard to keep track of. Maybe Hannah and I can brainstorm about this. She's my creative problem solver. The big kids and I have definitely talked about it and about charity, but it has been hard to get them actually tithing consistently.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

What a great idea...I may have to try this. I have tried chore charts before but I lack the motivation to follow through...usually because I start them while pregnant! But maybe if money is involved it won't take so much of my energy to help motivate!