Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's not easy being big.



We went to a playground on Wednesday after Mass since it was the first morning that it had been cool (78 degrees with a gentle breeze) in a while. I was surprised that the playground wasn't busier, but there was only one other family there with twin boys. Isaac and the boys started playing together and then the boys wanted him to jump off a part of the playground that had a ladder. It was too high for Isaac, for sure. It wasn't the highest ladder, but still very high. I told him he shouldn't do that until he is older and the boy asked me how old he was. I told him and then he told me he was 5. He was barely taller than Isaac, so I was surprised buy by this. Then I realized that Isaac is going to have to watch out for that as long as he is so big for his age, just like my brother did. You can get yourself into a good amount of trouble when the kids that are the same size as you assume you are the same age as them.

The girls noticed these boys were telling Isaac to do dangerous things and they went into protective mode and stopped playing. First they were telling Isaac not to jump from the ladder or from wherever. They even told the boys Isaac couldn't do those things. Then they sat a safe distance away and watched and listened until I realized what they were doing. I promised them at least a hundred times that I would watch Isaac and make sure he made good choices and told them that they should go play and have fun. Eventually I convinced them and they took off for the tire swing. I am glad the girls take such good care of their brother, but I am not sure where the doubt in my abilities to keep him safe came from. Should I be insulted?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

What sweet, sweet babies you have!!