Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Ruffled Duck Inn


Brian and I actually had a whole weekend without kids! My wonderful aunt, uncle, and cousins all kept them for the weekend so we could celebrate our 10 year anniversary (a little late) and have a sort of babymoon before Speck arrives. (Leah, we are almost decided on a name, I promise!) We picked somewhere close so we wouldn't have to waste too much time driving. We stayed at a B&B called The Ruffled Duck Inn in Oxford, Maryland. It was a quaint little town in the Chesapeake Bay area near Easton and St. Michaels. The Inn was adorably decorated and included three course gourmet breakfasts and delightful company. The other couple staying there at the same time was excellent breakfast company as well. Despite the heat, it was a wonderful trip, and we enjoyed every minute of it!



Saturday, we ferried across to St. Michaels and spent the day wondering in and out of shops, mostly antiques, in the scorching heat. Brian was surprised at how many times I had to recite my due date and that, "No, this isn't our first baby. It's our fourth." The jaw dropping then commenced in every single shop we entered (and occasionally in between) with at least three inquiries about whether or not I was carrying twins. I certainly received more than my fair share of sympathy for my condition in the awful heat as well.

We found this amazing old student desk...


...and a few things for Speck's room that shall be featured in a post soon when I complete his room. We ate lunch and stopped at a microbrewery for Brian. Then we wondered into a rug shop where a sweet lady took the time to show me how to hook a rug which I have been very interested in learning of late. (I am a little addicted to learning new craft skills!) I bought a hook from her. She showed me a website to purchase all the supplies I need to create my own rug for Speck's room since I am not really one for kits, and she recommended me teaching the girls how to do it too since it is an easy and safe craft for kids.

Saturday night and on Sunday on our way back we spent a little time in Easton, an artsy town with excellent food. We ate at Out of the Fire which was our favorite of all the great food we had.

In Oxford, we enjoyed sitting on the beach with our feet in the water and collecting some shells and a dead crab for the kids. We only saw one jellyfish which was good considering it is jellyfish season right now. We also enjoyed eating at The Robert Morris one night and, on a hot afternoon, having an ice cream treat at the Scottish Highland Creamery which was actually run by a Scot who had lived above and worked in an Italian ice cream parlor. You couldn't have kept my husband away from that place if you had tried, and I certainly wasn't putting up any fight either.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

How fun! I am sure you will be empathizing with me soon about the pregnancy comments! Why does everyone have to say something...especially if it is something like, "wow"?