Friday, July 29, 2011

Nautical Mobile and Blanket for Speck

I made this mobile to match the theme of Speck's room which comes from some of Paul Signac's paintings of sailboats. I wish I was a better photographer. I didn't get good detail here. I sewed miniature pillows with ribbon tags so that I could disassemble this mobile at some point. There is a lighthouse, a sailboat, an anchor, and a life preserver. To hang it, I sewed a casing and tried using card board first. That wasn't strong enough so I used plastic instead. The ties/strings are made from an old t-shirt cut up. I was not altogether thrilled with the end product, but it will do for now. If I think of a better way to hang it in the future I may just do that. It just looks a little too sloppy for me.


As for the blanket, I followed this tutorial from Made for a faux chenille blanket. I suppose you can't really tell how soft and comfy this blanket turned out, so you'll have to take my word for it. The whole time I was sewing line after line and cutting line after line, I was thinking, "This better turn out the way it's supposed to." It was a good amount of monotonous work to have it fail, but it didn't. It turned out great despite the fact that my lines weren't the straightest. As a seamstress (if you can even call me that) I am, by far, NOT a perfectionist.

Final product


Below is a (poor) photo of the cut lines before it hit the washer and dryer to fray and soften the edges. For anyone interested, I used flannel for the layers that you cut and fray to make the faux chenille side of the blanket.


More to come on this fast developing nursery since we are getting close to the start of school and Speck's arrival...I hope!

No comments: