Sunday, November 29, 2009

Happy Advent!

I love Advent! Who doesn't, right? I had such a great time decorating and listening to Christmas music. Here's what I did this year, a few new things, a few old things...

Advent WreathI mentioned yesterday, I was not thrilled with the exact colors of the candles, but they are basically purple and pink (I know it looks red in the picture, but it is basically pink, I promise.) The girls agreed that was the closest we had seen. I just used the craft supplies already on hand for the rest of the wreath.

Nooks and Crannies

Kitchen
The cheap Advent Calendars I purchased yesterday are leaning against the window. Next to the oranges, our Christmas card from last year is blown up and framed until the 2009 card arrives to replace it. (Side note: Notice the coffee pot sitting out and ready for my husband to come home and make coffee in the morning again. Since the only coffee I drink is the occasional Cafe Mocha at the Java Cafe, I put it away for the year to free up counter space. Now it's back and ready to be used every morning again! I can't wait for that yummy smell to fill the house in the morning, the smell of my husband back safe and sound, right where he should be!)

In the Stairwell

Fireplace
Before you say where's Isaac's stocking, let me explain. I didn't finish (or even start) it yet. Oops! I made the stocking for my nephew and realized that it was going to take me a lot longer than I thought. By the time I got back home, there was, by far, not enough time and too many other important projects to do. I am trying to give each of the kids hand-made gifts this year for Christmas. Since he isn't old enough to know or care, I decided to put his stocking last on the list and commit to having it ready long before next Christmas. As you can see, there isn't enough room for another one anyway on this fireplace. That is just to make me feel better about not making it in time though. I would have squeezed it in.
As for the nativity scene, I decided to squeeze it in on top of the fireplace this year so it is more easily seen. I felt like the glass case was just too hard for the shorties to see, at least.

EtcNotice my old faithful crib for baby Jesus behind the flowers.

Our Jesse Tree and Advent Reading BasketThe small artificial tree is used for our Jesse Tree, for which we now have a full hand-crafted set of ornaments thanks to the Jesse Tree Swap I started in our MCCW group. This will be saved for another post because it is so wonderful, and I want to devote more time to it later on.


The Advent reading basket is growing slowly, but surely. We added three books to it at the end of the Christmas season last year. One of those books is The Jesse Tree which we started tonight. It has a lot of really big words. I felt like I was paraphrasing every sentence at times. I think it would be great if they were a few years older. However, I still think they prefer it to just reading the Scriptures like we did last year. We shall see! I have some books in here for Isaac too. I made this bow to make it look all beautiful, and then the kids got up from their nap/rest time and...


So I am sure I will not get to see it all nicely put together very often, but that really isn't the point (right, Kelle?) Right!

Today did not go as planned. Genna threw up first thing this morning and so we stayed home from Mass in case she was really sick. No fever and no more puke, so I am hoping that is over. Especially since my surgery is tomorrow. We have been having a prayer vigil for health all day today it seems. On the plus side, I got the whole house organized and set up for Advent (minus the big tree which my Sweetheart will be fetching once he is home). God is good! Jesus, I trust in you!

No comments: